Wednesday, August 29, 2012

20,001: A Bibliography Odyssey


 

My Endnote database just passed 20,000 references. I was getting psyched out about seeing the 20,000th reference, but then of course I went along merrily adding references and forgot to savor the moment. Now it has 20,001. I just got a new computer, with Windows 7 and Office 2010, and I upgraded other computers. So of course Endnote X3 isn't compatible with Word 2010 and I had to upgrade Endnote to version X6. Not too different.

20,001 references, it reminds me of the movie "20,001: A Bibliography Odyssey." The aliens plant an obelisk that teaches the ape-people how to construct databases for citations. They get all their information into the database, but then Hal locks them out and they lose everything. "Open the database door, Hal!"   "I'm sorry, Dave. You won't be able to use your citations anymore." Now was this the original movie, or am I mixing it up with my bibliography nightmare?



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hal was born in Urbana, Illinois.

Michael E. Smith said...

So was my older daughter!